10 things you need to know about the Australian contributory parent visas

10 things you need to know about the Australian contributory parent visas

10 things you need to know about the Australian contributory parent visas

The contributory parent visa, also known as (subclass 173 and 143) is one of the most popular parent visas; you can apply for your parents and bring them over if you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen who has been living in Australia for at least 4 years. The subclass 173 visa will allow your parents to live in Australia for at least two years.

However, if you want to extend their stay after this period, you can apply for the 143-visa subclass within two years of their stay with the 173 visa. The visa 143 is considered a permanent visa; the holders of this visa will get the permission to live inside Australia for as long as they want.


Subclass 173 visa benefits

·        Live on Australian soil for up to two years

·        Granted the permission to find work and study.

·        Apply for subclass 143, the permanent version of the contributory parent visa.


Examen your eligibility for the contributory parent visa subclass 173

·        Most have a child who is at least 18 and is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia.

·        You are required to meet the balance family test.

·        Pass all visa conditions and abide by Australian laws.

·        Not have an active or hold a sponsored parent visa (subclass 870) application at the time of applying for 173 visa.


10 Must-know facts about the contributory visa


1. Short waiting time

An applicant can sponsor his parents and bring them over with the subclass 173 visa faster than any other visa available in Australia. This visa has no timeline or any waiting period to get processed, meaning you can apply anytime you want, and it's just a matter of time to get your application processed.


2. Fewer refusal rates

The refusal rate is way less than other parent visas because, essentially, you're paying the government a hefty amount of money for the visa. And you don't have to wait for 30 years to get your visa processed.


3. Medicare plan benefits

It doesn't matter which visa you get (visa 143 or 173); as soon as you get either of these visas for your parents, they are entitled to receive medical health care plans. This is especially helpful if your parents come with an illness that needs special care.


4. You can work and study

With the contributory permanent visa, your parents have the luxury to work and study anytime they want in Australia. The same applies if your visa last two to five years. Also, with this visa, you can travel to and from Australia as many times as you like.


5. Cost more when applying in two stages

You can choose to pay the fees in a single stage for a single parent, which will cost you less than the two stages in which you will have to pay for the temporary and the permanent visa. It is better to pay all the fees in one stage to save on the application fees. Also, you have fees like applications, assurance of support and contribution to the government.


6. Apply for the visa onshore or from your resident country

An applicant can apply for a temporary visa 173 for their parents if they still live outside Australia.

However, in order for the visa to be granted, the parents should not be inside the country. If the parent is onshore, he will not be granted a bridging visa.


7. Your child must meet the income threshold

The applicant, which can be your son or daughter, must meet the financial limits assigned by the government to prove that he or she can sponsor their parents.


8. The applicant must provide proof of being eligible

Other than financial documents, you need to prove that you are 18 or older in order to be eligible to apply for a visa for your parents. You also need to provide documents about your parents in this process too.


9. Apply before the expiration date.

You need to make sure not to forget your expiration date. Apply for the temporary visa as the date approaches so that you don't lose the chance for the permanent visa. One important factor that you need to keep in mind is that the temporary visa subclass 173 or subclass 884 cannot be extended or renewed.


10. Access to pension and social security payment

an applicant with a visa for parents is not entitled to receive age pension or social security payments for their parents. You have to wait for approximately two years to be eligible for social security benefits. For other age and disability pensions, you have to even wait for ten years or more.

Trending Post